When the temperatures start dipping all you want to do is cozy up on your sofa with a good book and a bowl of warm and comforting soup. Our version of this dairy free Cream of Mushroom Soup is just what will do the trick at this time.
This soup is the real deal. You won’t know it’s dairy free or gluten free for that matter. Its made with a combination of some basic spices, mushrooms (of course) and coconut cream.
Now we know that not everything that is dairy free should be coconut based. In fact a lot of you guys don’t like the taste of coconut as well. However we promise the coconut pairs brilliantly well with the mushrooms and you can’t taste it at all.
While we have garnished this Cream of Mushroom Soup with some olives and black pepper we also love using hemp seeds, dried coconut flakes or even pecan nuts for that matter.
We made this mushroom soup using button mushrooms but this works well with cremini mushrooms as well. This soup is not only dairy free but is also Vegan, Paleo, Keto and Whole 30 making it extremely versatile across various lifestyles.
Mushrooms are highly nutritious, low carbs and an excellent source of antioxidants, B Vitamins, Copper and Potassium.
We are in absolute love with this soup and you will be too once you try our version. It is light on the stomach, delightfully delicious and extremely soulfilling.
Lets get you ready for some soup then…
Cream of Mushroom Soup - Dairy Free, Paleo, Keto
- Stock Pot
- 3 cups Button Mushrooms Finely chopped
- 1.5 cups Water
- 3 cloves Garlic - 3 cloves Minced
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- 2 tbsps Ghee or Avocado Oil (For a Vegan option)
- 4 twigs Thyme
- 1.5 tbsps Almond Flour
- 1 tsp Himalayan Sea Salt
- ½ cup Coconut Cream - 1/2 cup
- ½ tsp Avocado Oil - 1/2 teaspoon
- 2 tbsps Kalamata olives
- Black Pepper as per taste
- ¼ cup Mushrooms finely chopped
- 2 tbsps Thyme & Corainder leaves finely chopped
- Start by adding the chopped mushrooms to a pot filled with water
- Boil for 5-10 minutes until the mushrooms are tender
- Once done - Add ghee to another skillet
- When adequately hot..add garlic and roast until fragrant
- Add onions and roast them too until golden brown
- Thereafter add the thyme leaves & almond flour & cook for about 2-3 minutes
- Transfer this mixture to a blender pot alongwith the boiled mushrooms & the water
- Blend to form a soup like consistency
- Transfer this soup to the same skillet as before
- Let the mixture boil for 15 - 20 mins on a medium low frame
- While it is boiling add in the salt as per taste and coconut cream. Stir well and combine
- Cook for another 5 minutes or so before you switch off the gas
- Heat another skillet and add in the avocado oil once adequately hot
- Next add in chopped mushrooms and salt cook until they are tender
- Serve the soup hot by topping them with the mushrooms cooked in avocado oil and garnishing them with some kalamata olives, thyme, coriander leaves and black pepper as per preference. An extra dash of coconut cream works well too