I am an absolute explorer …. whether it is about traveling to new and unexplored places or whether it is about looking through lost cuisines… (More on that later!) But the point is my ‘explorer’ instinct often leads me to try new things with eating being a major focus… I mean how often do you get different experiences to eating healthy right? Especially when I am not the one creating it. (lucky you guys :p) So when I do get one I grab it with both my hands! And that’s exactly how Keto lemon Vanilla Muffins came out to be!
This is by no means an original recipe, it is just unique by the association of healthy ingredients in it though! So the other day I called my childhood friend to wish her Happy Birthday, shoutout to all you Aquarians out there! And her husband had baked her some Keto friendly Lemon Vanilla muffins using cream cheese! Now, I am sure you know me by now, I am not going to let a food item pass under the tip of my nose without sniffing into the recipe… so I dug up the recipe out of the husband, changed a few ingredients and recreated a new version for you guys and my husband! (Again lucky him!!) and it turned out to be A – (wait for it) – mazing! (Sorry for the cliché but @NeilPatrickHarris this one is for you! :*)
Keto Lemon Muffins – Gluten Free
Now, you’d ask me, why would you not make a Paleo version of the same thing then… well I could, of course, and I did… rightly so! but I just decided to publicize the keto version! In this blog post, you will find the paleo way of doing it as well!
And yes, Keto is more of an association to this recipe as it uses Mascarpone – a type of Italian cream cheese which is a must-have in the Keto kitchen but may not be considered to be Paleo compliant. However, the argument in favor of mascarpone is that this product is created after the denatured cheese rids its self of the whey without pressing or using any sort of a unnatural process as it has done in the case of other cheese formations i.e. basically it uses a more natural process to its formation and hence it can be considered whole food making it compatible for Paleo lifestyle if one can tolerate dairy.
Keto Lemon Muffins – Gluten Free
But there is not much data to support that argument and hence if I were to keep it 100% Paleo I would substitute it with our good old coconut cream!
So let’s get to making it then:
Keto Lemon Vanilla Muffins
- Stevia Erythritol blend - 1/2 cup
- Eggs - 2 (Large brown organic)
- Lemon Juice - of 1 Lemon
- Lemon Zest - of one Lemon
- Pure Desi Ghee - 1/2 cup
- Mascarpone-1/2 cup or Coconut Cream - 1/2 cup (to keep it 100% Paleo compliant)
- Vanilla Extract - 2 teaspoons
- Almond Flour-1.5 cups
- Coconut Flour - 1 tablespoon
- Psyllium husk - 1 tablespoon
- Baking Soda - 1/2 teaspoon
- Cream of Tartar - 1/2 teaspoon
- Ginger Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Cinnamon powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Cardamom powder - just a pinch
- AllSpice - just a pinch (Optional)
- Himalayan Sea Salt - 1/4th teaspoon
- Poppy Seeds:1 tablespoon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- To a food processor add stevia sweetener and eggs and run them through to mix them well
- Then add in the rest of the wet ingredients and run them over in a blender for about 30 seconds
- Next add in all the dry ingredients one by one except the poppy seeds
- Run them through the processor to form a cake like batter
- Lastly add in the poppy seeds and give one last whirl
- Line a 12 cups muffin tray with muffins liners and spoon in the batter into each of the cups one by one (use a piping bag to avoid hassle of the spoon)
- Once lined bake the muffins for 22 minutes
- Remove and let cool
- Keep them in an air-tight container and store in fridge
- Remove and eat either cold or by warming it for about 30 seconds through the microwave oven!